[ Contents | Administrivia | The Shadow | Non-Dark | Sources | Prophecy | Publishing ]
PLEASE NOTE: This version of the FAQ is now outdated; go directly to the current version or see the Welcome Page for more information. (November 2010)
1.1.1: Who are the Forsaken? Where are they now?
[Mark Looi, Erica Sadun, Pam Korda, Leigh Butler]
During the AOL, many Aes Sedai turned to the Dark Side. The Guide tells us
that "the best of them were given power and ability beyond that of
others....Among themselves they were known as 'Those Chosen to Rule the
World Forever', or simply 'the Chosen.'" [Guide: 5, The Dark One and the
Male Forsaken, 49] In the Third Age, the term "Forsaken" is used to refer
to the thirteen who were caught in the sealing of the Bore. According to
the Guide [Guide: 5, The DO and the Male Forsaken, 50], those thirteen were
the most powerful of the Chosen.
The 13 Forsaken (in alphabetical order) are
- AGINOR (M): Real name: Ishar Morrad Chuain.
Aliases: Osan'gar, Dashiva. Before turning to the Shadow, he was a famous biologist. He was the second most powerful of the male Forsaken.
He created the various Shadowspawn, and was apparently never involved
in military operations (RJ said that the guy who created the Trollocs
had no combat experience [Correspondence]). Killed at the Eye of the
World by drawing too much of the One Power during a confrontation with
Rand [TEOTW: 51, Against the Shadow, 634-635]. He was recycled into the
body of a middle-aged Borderlander by the Dark One, and called
Osan'gar. Revealed to be masquerading as the Asha'man Dashiva [WH: 35,
With the Choedan Kal, 645]. Killed, again, by Elza at the end of WH
- ASMODEAN (M): Real name: Joar Addam Nesossin [TFOH:
45, After the Storm, 516]. Alias: Jasin Natael. Before turning to the
Shadow, he was a composer and musician; claimed to have joined
the Shadow for the promise of eternal life, in which to practice songs
and music. Thought by many to be the weakest and most cowardly of the Forsaken. Captured by Rand and
shielded by Lanfear at Rhuidean [TSR: 58, The Traps of Rhuidean,
674-677]. Toast at the end of TFOH...twice! No body was found, so most
people in Randland do not know he is dead, just that he has vanished.
The DO is likely either unwilling or unable to recycle him, since THOSE
WHO BETRAY [the DO] WILL DIE THE FINAL DEATH. The identity of his killer is unknown (see section
- BALTHAMEL (M): Real name: Eval Ramman. Aliases:
Aran'gar, Halima. In the AOL, he was a historian before turning to the
Dark Side. The Guide [Guide: 5, The DO and the Male Forsaken, 54]
indicates that he may have run a spy network for the Shadow during the
War of Power. He was notorious for being an utter lecher. Killed
by the Green Man at the Eye of the World [TEOTW: 50, Meetings at the
Eye, 630-631]. He has been recycled into the body of an attractive woman,
and is called Aran'gar. Currently, she has infiltrated the Salidar Aes
Sedai, and is acting as Egwene's masseuse.
- BE'LAL (M): Real name: Duram Laddel Cham. Aliases:
Netweaver, High Lord Samon of Tear. He was a lawyer in the AOL. After
turning to the Shadow, he served as a general and governor. He was
balefired by Moiraine in the Stone of Tear [TDR: 55, What is Written in
- DEMANDRED (M): Real name: Barid Bel Medar. During
the AOL, played second fiddle to the Dragon until he got tired of being continually thought second-best to LTT [TFOH: 3, Pale Shadows, 76-77], [LOC: Prologue, The First Message, 56-57], who he considered to be his intellectual inferior. He went over to the Shadow, where he served as a general. He hated and envied LTT intensely, and has transferred that feeling to Rand [TSR: 58, The Traps of Rhuidean, 677]. Knows how to block gateways. Current location unknown, though he is definitely involved in some manner with the Black Tower, either working through Mazrim Taim or independently (see section 1.1.5).
- GRAENDAL (F): Real name: Kamarile Maradim Nindar. Alias: Lady Basene. Steven Cooper notes, "The nickname 'Maisia,' used by Sammael in ACOS, should perhaps be mentioned here. According to Thomas Howard, RJ explained it was a name commonly given to pets in the AOL (no wonder Graendal was not amused)." Before turning to the Shadow, she was a celebrated psychiatrist in the AOL [LOC: 6, Threads Woven of Shadow, 130-9], and an ascetic. In the habit of taking aristocrats and making them serve in some demeaning aspect, using enough Compulsion to fry their brains and make them useless. Currently in Arad Doman, having taken over somebody's palace, where she appears to visitors as a feeble old lady. She has one of the World's Greatest Generals, Lord Rodel Ituralde, working for her, though he doesn't know it, and has manuevered him into an offensive against the Seanchan (see section 2.6.6). She seems to be underestimated by all the other Forsaken, besides Sammael. Was duped by Sammael, for a short time, into following him, due to his claim of being Nae'blis. She has recently been "reined in" by Moridin and his minions.
- ISHAMAEL (M): Real name: Elan Morin Tedronai. Aliases:
Ba'alzamon, Moridin. The most philosophically-minded of the Forsaken, he came up
with many theories on the nature of the battle between the Creator and
the DO [LOC: 6, Threads Woven of Shadow, 133]. Believed by many to be
the most powerful Forsaken. Was partially or totally free during the
Third Age (see
section 1.1.8). Believed by the other Forsaken to be partially or
totally mad. Frequent user of the "True Power." Killed by Rand in Tear
[TDR: 55, What is Written in Prophecy, 570]. He has been recycled into
the body of a dark, handsome young man, and calls himself Moridin. He
has reassumed his pre-death position as Big Cheese in the Shadow's
hierarchy, and seems to have most of the other Forsaken under his
control. Has rescinded the order against killing Rand (see
- LANFEAR (F): Real name: Mierin Eronaile. Aliases:
Selene, Keille, Silvie, Else Grinwell (in TDR), Cyndane. She was the most
powerful of the female Forsaken, and was maybe the second-strongest of
all. Former lover of LTT, she believes she was rudely tossed over for
Ilyena. She was not famous in the AOL [Guide: 6, The Female Forsaken
and the Darkfriends], when she was a researcher into the One Power. She
was one of the AS who opened the Bore, apparently unwittingly. Known
for interfering in others' plans, twisting them to her advantage.
Tackled by Moiraine in TFOH, and fell into Finnland. She has a new
body, either from dying and being recycled, or from a wish to the Finn,
and is called Cyndane (see
section 1.2.4). Mindtrapped by Moridin, and apparently weaker in
the OP than she was as Lanfear [WH: 35, With the Choedan Kal, 649].
- MESAANA (F): Real name: Saine Tarasind. Was rejected by the Collam Daan (a major research institution during the AOL), so instead of being a researcher, she ended up a teacher, until she found a way to Teach Them All! MUAHAHAH! She has been known to plot with Demandred and Semirhage. She had been the power behind the power behind the throne in the White Tower, running Elaida through Alviarin, until her failure to show up at the Battle of Shadar Logoth in WH earned her a... demotion. Her secret identity in the Tower is as yet unknown (see section 1.1.2).
- MOGHEDIEN (F): Real name: Lillen Moiral. Aliases:
Gyldin, Marigan. During the AOL, she was a shady "investment advisor."
During the War of Power, she ran a spy network. Believed to be the strongest Forsaken in Tel'aran'rhiod. She was captured by Nynaeve in Tanchico, but escaped [TSR: 54, Into the Palace, 631-3]. Captured by Nynaeve again in Salidar and forced to teach her and Elayne. Released by Aran'gar and summoned to SG, where she was severely punished, and was fitted with a mindtrap. Is now a lackey of Moridin. Current condition unknown; there is some suggestion that she may not have survived the Cleansing at the end of WH.
- RAHVIN (M): Real Name: Ared Mosinel. Alias: Lord
Gaebril. Previously held Queen Morgase in thrall via Compulsion.
Balefired by Rand at the end of TFOH.
- SAMMAEL (M): Real name: Tel Janin Aellinsar.
Alias: Lord Brend of Illian. During the AOL, he was an athlete. Served
the DO as a general. Was given scar by LTT, hates Rand. Always wanted
to be taller. He'd managed to get hold of a number of AOL goodies from
stasis boxes, and some stuff from the Kin's stash in Ebou Dar. Killed
by Mashadar during his battle with Rand in Shadar Logoth at the end of
ACOS; this was confirmed by RJ during the CNN chat on December 12, 2000: "Mashadar killed Sammael. Sammael
is toast!" (reported by Erica Sadun and Patrick Cotrona)
- SEMIRHAGE (F): Real name: Nemene Damendar Boann. Alias: Anath. She was a brilliant healer who took payment and pleasure in extracting extra pain from her patients; turned to the Dark Side to avoid being stilled or bound by an Oath Rod for her sadism. Has a penchant for gruesome torture. Hates Lanfear. Is very tall, with dark skin and eyes, and likes wearing black. Knows how to block open gateways.
Current whereabouts: group consensus as of WH is that she is Anath, Tuon's scary retainer (see section 1.1.9). Like Mesaana, Semirhage was a no-show at the Cleansing; it is unknown whether she received a similar punishment, though the Seeker Almurat Mor does mention that Anath had "taken to seclusion" [COT: 4, The Tale of a Doll, 158].
Section | Previous
Contents | Next
[ Contents | Administrivia | The Shadow | Non-Dark | Sources | Prophecy | Publishing ]
Illustrations © 1989-2000 by Tor Books.
The Wheel of Time FAQ. Copyright 2004 by Leigh Butler, Pamela
Korda and Erica Sadun. HTML implementation by Leigh Butler. This site maintained by Pam Korda (firstname.lastname@example.org). Comments
and questions regarding the content itself should be directed to Leigh